Apr 8, 2015

Updates and a Huge THANK YOU

Amber has agreed to let me take over her blog today so I can pass on some updates on our daughter's condition.  Of course I had to promise her some special treats in order for her to share her furiends with me.

Before I start, I want to say THANKS to all of you for the prayers and all the comforting words we've received both for Shelly and also for our oldest pack member, Bailey (RIP) since all this started back in the first week of February.  My original intention was to send out individual emails thanking you, but so many of you were there for us that I would spend the rest of the year writing emails.  So I apologize that I'm doing this in a post. Shelly has asked me to save all the blog comments and emails because when she's feeling better, she wants to read them all. So I've saved everything in a folder for her that I'll give her when she's better.

Shelly was taken to the hospital on February 8 when she was found unconscious.  The next day her heart stopped for 5 minutes.  She was put on a ventilator, dialysis machine, and life support because most of her organs were also shutting down.  After 3 weeks she improved slightly and was taken off the ventilator but then she started having problems with her blood.  Her red cells were disappearing and her white count was dangerously high.  Her blood pressure skyrocketed as well as her heart rate.  For more than a week she received blood transfusions daily.

Finally she was able to be released to a rehab center for physical therapy and hyperbaric treatments to try and save her right leg.  The treatments haven't worked so her right leg will be amputated along with her fingertips and one toe on her left leg.

On Monday of this week her blood pressure and heart rate skyrocketed again.  Her hemoglobin count is down to a dangerous level once again.  The rehab center sent her back to the hospital Monday night.  Once her blood level is controlled, she will have the surgery to remove her right leg.  The doctors are hoping to do this some time this week after an examination and clearance from the cardiologist.  Her speech also seems somewhat impaired.  She stutters or has to speak very slowly, one word at a time to communicate.  She may need speech therapy.

Shelly still has a very long hard road ahead of her.  We try to spend as much time as possible with her but it's very hard on us too.  The hospital is 2 hours away from us and the rehab center is 2-1/2 hours one way assuming there is no traffic (which is very rare driving through Orlando).  So it seems all we've been doing is driving over the past 2 months.

Again, thank you for sticking with us though all of this.  And thank you to the POTP team for helping with the updates in the beginning.  And a special thank you for all the personal cards and emails.  And Chef Sasha.....you're the greatest.  You've managed to keep the pack well fed during this emergency. Pictures of them getting into their "Chewy" boxes will be posted soon.

Hopefully Amber will be back to regular posting and commenting soon.  I'm reading all of your posts at the hospital daily and quite honestly, they are keeping me focused and in control.  We are going to stay tough and fight this illness with everything we've got!!!     :)


*******************************

I have some very sad, unrelated news to pass on.  Many of you may remember the blog named "Holly Wags".  Holly's Mommy was a very good friend of mine who I knew long before Amber started blogging.  We visited Debbie and Holly in Virginia on many occasions through the years on our trips back from Michigan.  Debbie is actually responsible for getting Amber's blog started.  

I received the news a couple of days ago that Debbie passed away at a rehab center on March 22 after a fall that broke her hip.

Holly is being adopted by some friends of Debbie's in Pennsylvania.

Debbie was such a wonderful friend and I'll miss her terribly.

34 comments:

ZOOLATRY said...

Sending you, of course Shelly ~ and all the family continuing prayers,
and a hug of love. I am so sorry to learn that Shelly's condition did not improve a great deal and that she and you will be going through so much more. May God watch over you all, Linda.

Love, Ann

Molly the Airedale said...

Our thoughts and prayers remain with you♥ You all are fighting one tough battle.
We were so sad to hear of Debbie's passing too. She was way too young. Have you seen Khyra's video yet today? You will smile☺

Love ya lots♥
Mitch and Molly

Unknown said...

You are in our thoughts and prayers. We send big hugs from across the pond.
Best wishes Molly

easyweimaraner said...

I cross my paws for you and for Shelly... please give her a hug and tell her she is not alone, we all are there in our thoughts and with our hearts.
I'm so sorry for your friend Debbie, I'm so sorry that you lost a friend during such a hard time...
hugs and kisses to you all
easy rider

Frankie Furter and Ernie said...

We are sorry to hear of your friend's Passing...
Sweet Shelly has been through SO much for So long. We PRAY that the surgery will set her back on the road to recovery.
You are ALL in our hearts and thoughts... CONSTANTLY.

My Mind's Eye said...

Dear Linda...
thank you very much for the update on Shelly. She remains in our thoughts and prayers as do all of you. Do you think she would like to receive cards in rehab or could we send them to you to deliver.

Oh my word I remember Debbie and Holly.
I'm so very sorry to read about her passing. thank goodness Holly has a good home.
Hugs Cecilia and Madi

Matilda the Boxer said...

Sounds like Shelly has a long road ahead of her, but she'll have POTP to help her through!!

C.L.W.STEP said...

Thank you for the update. As I tell my patients who come for rehab at the nursing home, it will take time. But all of a sudden the time will come when you're all fixed, and you'll wonder where the time went.

We're thinking about you and hope for the best.

Scooter said...

Oh goodness, I'm sending you warm hugs and loving vibes. Wishing Shelly a quick recovery and hoping for the very best for her. I'm so sorry to hear about all of this. My whole pack sends love to all of you.
Grr and Woof,
Sarge and Staff

Julie said...

We are thinking of you, wishing you and Shelly all the very best. Lots of luff and hugs from us
Loves and licky kisses
Princess Leah xxx

Linda said...

We have our paws crossed for you and for Shelly.
xo Cinnamon

Murphy said...

With everything going on you should not worry about sending individual emails! A post update is just fine! We cannot imagine the load you carry. Praying for the best care for Shelly!

Your Pals,

Murphy & Stanley

Sweet William The Scot said...

We really appreciate the update on Shelly and so sorry that the hyperbaric treatments did not work. Living with a disease similar to what Shelly has we know the day to day realities the ups and downs. Shelly is always in our prayers. We wish there was something more we could do.
Warm Hugs
Sweet William The Scot & Lee

Jans Funny Farm said...

Thank you for the updates. We are thankful Shelly is going forward, despite setbacks, and realize this is hard on the entire family. We send lots of love, hugs, purrs and paw taps.

And the good news about Holly is that Khyra and her mom drove down to spring Holly and Holly is currently with Khyra and her mom until she gets a forever home. What a wonderful act of kindness!
http://khyraskhorner.blogspot.com/2015/04/tuesday-telling.html

da tabbies o trout towne said...

Linda, your family will continue to be on my prayer list; God's strength to you and your family during this very difficult time; I know it's not easy on anyone ♥♥♥♥♥

Ruby said...

OMD, I am so sorry to hear about Shelly! I have been keepin' all of you in my thoughts and I am sendin' healin' vibes everyday! And of course LOTS of POTP!! I will keep my paws crossed real tight that everything goes well.
I will do one of my 'healin' dances' for you...it is of my own making ~ mostly some jib and jabs with a few zoomies thrown in for good measure! ☺
{{{hugs}}}}} and slobbery kisses too! BOL
I didn't know Debbie and Holly, butts I am so sad to hear of Debbie's passing. I am glad that Khyra and her Moms took Holly in! So sweet!
Kisses,
Ruby ♥

♥♥ The OP Pack ♥♥ said...

Your family has been through so much. Our hearts go out to all of you. Shelly is a fighter - we will keep those paws crossed for her and Mom always has her in her prayers. We hope you can update us soon with some good progress.

We were very sad to hear about Deb too. Mom used to chat with her a lot, but she seemed to just disappear for a while. We are very grateful to Khyra's Mom for being there for Holly.

Woos - Ciara and Lightning

Idaho PugRanch said...

Thank you for doing the update, we think of you all the time. Do whatever you need to take care of Shelly and yourselves too. You know that blogville is there for you
hugs and prayers
Mr Bailey, Hazel & Mabel

Sketching with Dogs said...

We are thinking of Shelley.
Hugs to you all!
Dip and Elliot x

KB said...

I cannot believe what a very rough time Shelly has had. You've been an amazing mom to her, and I'm sure that your devotion is helping her immensely. Be sure to take care of yourself too - so you can keep helping Shelly.

I'm so sad about Bailey, and especially that he had to leave during all these crises.

Last, I was sad to read of Debbie. I used to follow her blog until she took an indefinite break a few years ago. I feel relieved that Holly will be loved by her friends.

Scooter said...

Oh Im so sorry to hear about your friends passing. Also our thoughts and prayers will be with your family and Shellys family during this time. I cant imagine what you must be going through. We are here for you. Keep us updated and hang in there.
Diana and Oreo

Just Mags said...

We are just so sorry to hear that sweet Shelly is still having a rough time and the treatments did not work. We are keeping prayers going for her and you all and we have faith that there will be a good report in the near future. Praying for your safety as you make the long drives there and back and for strength to carry you through. So sorry about your friend passing. Sending lots of warm hugs and love your way. Nose kisses sweet Amber for letting your mom give us an update. Maggie, Pooh and family

stellaroselong said...

Even through all your own crisis you found time to send my momma a card, she read it on the phone to me the other day, bless your giving heart so much. Thank you for letting us know how Shelly is, she is blessed to have her momma right there beside her ....we are praying for your family each day...We are so sorry to hear about your friend also....
stella rose and mommma

Sweet William The Scot said...

Stopping by to let you know we are thinking about you and praying for Shelly.
Sweet William The Scot

Sweet William The Scot said...

I saw you popped over and left a comment on my blog ~ I thought maybe you might have an update on Shelly. Warm hugs and prayers coming you way.
Sweet William The Scot

Marg said...

Sorry, it has taken so long for me to read this. Our purrs and prayers sure go out to you and Shelly. Also we are so sorry about your friend. You sure are having a hard time. Just know we are here for you.

NanaNor's said...

At times like this, words seem so very empty; please know you are all being upheld in prayer and love.
Noreen

Karen Jo said...

I am so very sorry about all that Shelly has been through and all that she has yet to go through. I'm keeping you in my thoughts and prayers. The kitties send healing purrs and Horus sends the power of his mighty tiger paw.

Marty the Manx said...

Keeping you in my prayers every night. Hang in there. POTP from the Gang
Marty's Mom

White Dog Blog said...

There are no words but feel our love and healing energies. We join with the rest of our Blog Family in sending strength and prayers to each of you as well as Shelly. Yours is one incredible family, pups and humans alike.

Hannah and Lucy said...

We hadn't heard about this until today and we are so sorry. We will purr hard for Shelly and for you all to find the strength to see this terrible time through.
Take care.
Love, Hannah, Lucy and Mum Sue xx xx xx

Mariodacat said...

M said you will be in her thoughts and prayers daily. We are so very sorry to hear all this bad news. I'm purring for Sissy too - cats purrs are very healing, so she should start feeling better soon. M sends big HUGS to the humans that drive so far to visit her.

Katiez Furry Mewz said...

This must tear at your heart not be with Shelly all the time. Praying that all goes well with the surgeries and that Shelly will be able to come home very soon.

Sad to hear of Debbie's passing as well, yet thankful that Holly has a new forever home.

-Katie Kat.

FiveSibesMom said...

Please know you are both in my prayers and thoughts...may Shelley get stronger and hopefully come home very soon...sending you big hugs.